Cannabis has just been revealed as an effective way to boost your sex drive.
For older men, this could be especially interesting. Because heart disease is the leading cause of death for men in the United States, it can also be risky for older men to engage in sexual activities. In fact, sexually active men are known to be more likely to suffer form a cardiac event, including that of a stroke or heart failure when compared to other groups of people, according to research. For women, heart disease is still the #1 risk factor however, using cannabis may help both sexes to support a healthy heart as studies have shown that cannabinoids are able to help reduce the risk of heart failure.
And that’s just how cannabis promotes a healthy ticker! Now brace yourself … smoking weed has also recently been clinically linked to more sexual activity in users. To get an effective libido boost, you may reach for an herbal supplement. But cannabis isn’t just any herb – it’s weed! So, it is diverse, fragrant and ultra-sexually stimulating. That is why scientists suggest to use more cannabis!
Does More Cannabis Use Mean More Sex?
Dr. Michael Eisenberg, an assistant professor of urology, sees patients at the Stanford University Medical Center. There, he does research on marijuana use and sex. “Usually, people assume the more frequently you smoke, the worse it could be when it came to sex, but in fact, we learned the opposite was true,” Eisenberg said. His study was published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine.
In his study, the data was gathered from the United States National Survey of Family Growth. It tracked the frequency of their sexual behaviors along with their marijuana use. The survey included 28,000 women and almost 23,000 men. Results of the survey revealed a positive relationship between using cannabis and getting frisky between the sheets. Both men and women who used marijuana were shown to have more sex on average – about 7 times more in 4 weeks!
“We were surprised to see the positive association between users,” Eisenberg said. “This was across the board: marital status, race, none of that mattered.”
The study was limited to heterosexual relationships and did not look further into the exact mechanisms by which cannabis worked to boost libido. However, the bottom line doesn’t like: using cannabis boosts sexual activity.
What Type of Cannabis Should I Use?
There are many different types of cannabis strains that you can try. But if you are new to using marijuana it is recommended that you start at the beginning and learn the difference between the three main categories of cannabis: sativa, indica and hybrid. Then, you will also need to try a small amount of a cannabis product in order to know just how much is a comfortable amount for you to use with a partner or on a solo mission (wink).
For some people, smoking weed can be an increased risk factor for other concerns like CVD (cardiovascular disease). Especially in older adults, it may be best to avoid smoking cannabis flower and opt for an edible, vaporized concentrate, sublingual tincture or other product. In addiction to using cannabis, if you want to boost your sex drive you may want to consider making other changes in your lifestyle.
“For most people, we tell them instead to go to the gym and lose 20 pounds,” Eisenberg said. Being overweight can give men problems with arousal. “We always talk about anything that can be good for your heart can be good for your penis,” he said. “For a lot of guys, hearing that is an amazing motivator.”
Let’s Get Stoned and Sexy!
It’s easy to integrate cannabis into your everyday health regimen. But you can also get even more adventurous and bring it right into the sack with you!
Here is a simple and easy DIY cannabis lube recipe that you can use alone or with a partner.
Cannabis Lube Ingredients:
- ¼ cup sweet almond oil
- ¼ cup coconut oil (liquid at room temperature)
- ½ cup olive oil
- Optional: 5-10 drops of Vitamin E oil (as a preservative)
- 1 eighth cannabis flower of your choice
– Add all of the oils into a small boiler pot and bring the liquid to a simmer. You’ll need to be very careful not to burn the oil, so start with a low setting.
– As the oil heats, you can break apart the flower into the smallest pieces that you can. You may want to use a grinder for this step or a food processor.
– Then, once you get the temperature right, you can add in the plant matter. Be careful not to dump the cannabis in, as the oil may splash out of the pan. Stirring constantly for 15 minutes, incorporate the plant matter into the oil. The longer you allow it to heat, the more potent the cannabis lube will be.
– You can keep heating the cannabis oil for up to 45 minutes, but of course on the lowest setting. You may also want to experiment with other flavors by adding a touch of honey into the mix, or another natural sweetener. Just be careful to always test the cannabis lube on an area of the body before applying it to any sensitive areas.
Cannabis is one of the most delicious herbs and when you add it to the skin of someone you love, it gets even sweeter. So, why not try it out with your partner? It may be just what you need to heat things up.
Brittany Artwohl is a health and wellness specialist based out of sunny Arizona. There, she has worked for over 15 years as an aqua fitness trainer, lifeguard and coach. Today, Brittany contributes to publications including Mountain Weekly News and Vital Updates as she lives a natural outdoor lifestyle.