Cannabis use is legal in so many places!
Not only in America but all over the globe including places like California, Oregon, Colorado, Mexico and Jamaica now, more than ever before people are lighting up and keeping things lit. While living a cannabis infused lifestyle is up to you to decide, there are many people that are already completely comfortable using cannabis products in their everyday life. They are staying energetic, successful and sophisticated and so the question is, “How can I take each cannabis experience to the next level?”
Well, if you want to use cannabis products in your life like flowers, edibles and concentrates you may want to know how to amp up the experience. Never fear! The cannabis community has plenty to share from its years of use that they just didn’t tell anyone about. Wink, wink.
3 Ways to Intensify Your Cannabis Infused Lifestyle
1. Wake ‘n Bake. It’s not just your imagination. Wake and bake cannabis sessions really are different than other times when you use infused products. Because your mind is still in “sleep” mode and your nervous system is not yet fully functioning, you are able to retain that gentle waking state longer by just adding cannabis to your morning routine. However, it’s important to know that because the effects of a wake and bake session only really work within the first 30 minutes after waking, you must seize the day during those early morning hours. Researchers can confirm that it’s not just bro-science – wake and bake sessions really are more effective.
In a study, published in the journal Addiction Research and Theory, results suggest that a wake and bake practice is more impairing than when people use cannabis at other times. These intense feelings can only be captured early in the morning.1
Want to Wake ‘n Bake? Ideally, a wake and bake routine will include pairing a micro-dose of an uplifting strain with a hot cup of coffee or tea and a steamy shower.
NOTE: As with any ritual behavior, continual wake and bake sessions may become habit-forming. Like a coffee addiction, overtime you may find it difficult to stop using cannabis in the mornings once you start as the intensity of a morning high is hard to beat.
2. Pairings. Early mornings aren’t the only time when you can intensify your cannabis experience. Use any meal or snacking opportunity or even bath time to infuse more cannabis into your lifestyle. Considering that some of the main compounds provided by cannabis can also be found inside other foods, beverages and herbs that you already enjoy – it’s easy to do!
For example, here are just 3 of the main terpenoids found in other foods and beverages you may already be eating:
– Limonene. This is a compound found in the peel of many citrus fruits like lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit as well as their essential oils. You can find limonene then in any food paired with natural citrus flavors. Cannabis strains with high amounts of limonene are known to refresh the mind and body delivering an uplifting buzz. These include OG kush, Jack the ripper and sour diesel.
– Alpha-Pinene. Also known as a-pinene this aromatic compound is the same one found in fir trees (Christmas trees). Also found in many other plants, this comforting terpene fragrance offers a fun profile that pairs well with other a-pinene containing plants like pine needles, rosemary, dill, basil and parsley sprigs.
Cannabis strains high in alpha-pinene are known to invigorate the senses, boost alertness and help reduce inflammation. They include Jack Herer, Dutch treat, romulan, blue dream and OG kush.
– Linalool. Cannabis strains with high amounts of linalool terpenes include grand daddy purple, purple rain and grape ape. These types of cannabis are known to offer anti-anxiety, sedative and analgesic (pain-relieving) effects. Ideal for pairing with lavender, bergamot, coriander, cinnamon, clary sage, geranium, rosewood, sweet basil and thyme. Try using high-potency linalool cannabis strains with these foods to help reduce insomnia, anxiety and feelings of low mood.
Once you learn about terpene profiles you can better understand how to enhance your experiences with cannabis at the table. You’ll find cannabis and food pairing is a very enriching and delicious experience to all 5 of your senses.
3. Homemade Edibles. One of the easiest ways to get a deep, relaxing and resonating body high from cannabis is through consuming edibles. Even if you prefer using flower products, you can take your experience to the next level with a low-dose or high-dose edible treat. Available in all tasty forms at your local dispensary like cookies, brownies and even sweet gummies, cannabis edibles can also be worked into your baking. Infuse cannabis into butter and your other favorite cooking oils like coconut, olive and sesame seed to make edibles any time you want to deepen your high. Unlike smoking cannabis products you can keep oil infusions in a jar for baking, a quick snack or even beverage infusion any time you like.
And Now … a Question of Potency
There are tons of ways that you can create new cannabis experiences. But what about the actual high? Here are just 5 ways to amp up your smoke session.
- Crumble. This may be the easiest way to boost the flavor and potency of your smoke. When it comes to flower, shatter affords the user many opportunities for creativity. You can get “crumble” or “wax” at any local dispensary and simply add pieces with a metal tool to your favorite flower products. Really, the options are endless and so let your mind go wild imagining the possibilities. Let’s even take a few steps down that rabbit hole, shall we? Bong bowls, pipes, joints, spliffs, blunts, edibles and just about everything else, too! You can get shatter cannabis concentrates in a range of strains including sativa, indica and hybrid varieties. In addition to that, the terpenoids profiles inside crumble bring any old flower or other cannabis product to life. Pair it with any cannabis product to enjoy the heavier, more complete high that shatter brings to the table.
- Shatter Topping. Often used for dabbing, cannabis shatter is a brittle substance. Made in large batches, the product usually takes on an amber color with a “shattered” texture, literally. Spread thin and flat during preparation, the liquid extract dries into a thin film. Then, after hardening the substance is broken into smaller, shatter-like pieces earning its name with jagged edges. While the pieces are strangely shaped, shatter has a great reputation and can be used in a range of ways to boost the potency of your smoke sessions. Shatter has a very high smoke point as well and an impressive terpene profile that allows you to really get more out of your flower. Pair it with a bowl or simply heat and drizzle it onto the ends of a blunt. Once re-heated into a liquid again, you can add shatter to just about anything you can think of.
- Kief. You don’t have to purchase kief at a dispensary. You can gather it in your grinder or jars and simply use it as a booster for the potency of your cannabis products. Ultra-light, it remains in its loose form and carries a potent terpene profile. The collection of trichomes contains loads of cannabinoids. Add kief to anything you smoke to boost the potency of your cannabis experience. Try it in the kitchen to pair with other terpene-rich foods like salads and wine, too!
- Vaporizers. When you’re out in the world on-the-go, traveling, driving or really ANYWHERE, a vaporizer is a must-have. You can get lit and stay there no matter what you need to do all just by slipping a pen into your pocket. Cannabis vape pens come in many shapes and sizes but convenience is what makes them so fantastic. Available in a range of potencies and strains, it’s always ideal to have a portable cannabis vaporizer around because nobody even notices. Virtually odorless, if you ghost small hits it is hard to tell that you’re getting IRIE – well, besides the big smile.
- Dab Rosin. This cannabis concentrate is getting more popular every day and it’s pretty versatile. Loaded with high-potency cannabinoids you can add rosin to anything you smoke, use it in dab rigs and also in coil vaporizers. One reason rosin is one of the best cannabis concentrates is because it is clean of residual hydrocarbon due to the simple heat-based extraction method. So, basically it’s just very clean and very pure shatter. You can purchase this solvent-free rosin at a dispensary or you can even make rosin at home with a hair straightener, parchment paper, a collection tool (spoon or pick) and gloves for protection.
The Bottom Line on Boosting Your Cannabis Buzz
Cannabis use is becoming more integrated into everyday life all over the globe but while the West coast is where weed is completely legal in the U.S., most places still haven’t caught up. So, if you are in one of those wonderful weed-legal places – try out these 10 ways to amp up your cannabis experience! And breathe deep, because that is the sweet smell of the end of cannabis prohibition.
1. Mitch Earleywine, Rachel Luba. Don’t wake and bake: morning use predicts cannabis problems. Journal Addiction Research & Theory Volume 24, 2016 – Issue 5.
Brittany Artwohl is a health and wellness specialist based out of sunny Arizona. There, she has worked for over 15 years as an aqua fitness trainer, lifeguard and coach. Today, Brittany contributes to publications including Mountain Weekly News and Vital Updates as she lives a natural outdoor lifestyle.